Pages

Wednesday 12 October 2011

Mould Making

My first project of the term! Yippee!! 

The Brief:

From your introduction to the mould making process. Carefully select a single or collection of everyday objects, that you can fit into one hand. (remember you will be working from this object for the entire brief).
From this object produce a Model for your mould that breathes new life into this everyday items.
Growing, constructing, slicing, abstracting, enlarging, encasing, displaying, emphasising, disguising, wrapping, exploding, containing, framing, encrusting, re-mixing
 
A consideration of Aesthetic, Function and Concept will be key to the success of your work.

I started by having a wander around the arboretum on the way home for inspiration and was attracted to this leaf


I liked the decay, the holes especially, and started to think about what could be done with them... As I had a weekend to ponder over things I decided not to worry too much and just let my mind wander... I was then left thinking about fruit and vegetables, oranges specifically and the surface of pineapples (I love the structure of their tops too!) So I will pick some up and see what I get up to with them in the workshop!

Daniel mentioned something about what we might like to do with our casts, what they could become etc. I started to think about lighting...

Whilst thinking about fruit, vegetables (and lighting), I did a search on google and this came up from designer Sergio Mendoza
http://inhabitat.com/sergio-mendoza-turns-broken-fruit-and-vegetable-crates-into-artful-lamps/
I love the texture and the reclaimed here. 

I found these strawberry inspired lights from Swedish design duo Glimpt (which also introduced me to an amazing design website called Dezeen!) I love the delicacy and the simplicity of the structures/hats on top.
http://www.dezeen.com/design/lighting/page/3/
There was this very interesting idea of using actual vegetable matter by Dutch designers Kathy Ludwig and Florian Kräutli 
http://www.greendiary.com/entry/veggy-art-lampshades-made-from-vegetable-become-food-for-animals/
This casting popped up on my facebook feed. I've been 'liking' a lot of design pages recently and have found it a great way of getting information on things otherwise embedded in the web. I've also been subscribing to a lot of rss feeds which are uploading strait to this blog! (brilliant!)
http://www.ecouterre.com/bones-and-feathers-debuts-animal-spine-jewelry-molded-from-recycled-bullets/
The work of Eva Hesse popped into my head, this piece specifically, when I was thinking about oranges and how they look in their plastic netting.
http://www.brooklynmuseum.org/eascfa/feminist_art_base/gallery/eva_hesse.php
I love the bulbous and weighted nature of the latex in these netting 'socks'. I might have a play with this idea...

Today I was in town and stumbled across this light base in Daphney's Handbag. I started thinking a bit more about what I can do and am really looking forward to tomorrow!


No comments:

Post a Comment