Pages

Tuesday 24 September 2013

Day Six: Pattern Repeat & Colourful Cutar

It's the penultimate day :( Having spent the week visiting lots of locations 'off site' we spent the day in the village. This was great actually as it was the perfect time to have a day of reflection. Not only on the trip to Spain, but a reflection on the whole summer and time to consider what might be taken on into the new term and year ahead.

Having spent time in Cutar on two occassions now I had a real urge to draw the whole landscape of the village. On the first night we took a paseo and I was totally struck by the view from the top by the bus stop.



This was to be my chosen location for the day. 

So, after an early rise to catch the sun:





it was a day spent connecting with the village through line....

To start off however, we all had a repeat pattern workshop on the terrace


Collecting florals from the surroundings 


Then cutting them up to help start the repeat:


Positioning the flats on reverse of one another 


then filling in the gaps with more drawing:


Slicing the image again to create the full repeat


Then drop this into photoshop and tile up - It's quite tropical!


I then took myself to the top of the village


And began with some continuous line drawings:



It is interesting how the second drawing has become much tighter than the first 
- I must have been observing better!

I then went on to draw the same landscape again, but this time used colour! 
I'm quite pleased with the outcome here. It just goes to show that perseverence and practice is key to a better drawing!


Tutorial that evening brought a really nice close to the week's work. Both comparing our drawings from day 1 to those of day 6 we could all map our journey and progression of thought through the week. The key take away was that drawing (in terms of design) is a process not a product...so drawing from drawings is a must for developing ideas! I think that's been rattling around up there but having some time and ability to gain perspective on things this has really stuck. I'm going to take this into my work this coming year and really work from my work. It's all there, you just have to tweak it out, through looking, analyzing and recreating to transform again...I'm really excited!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment